About Me

My photo
Portland, OR, United States
I love to find new bits of info, places and things. I'm an avid gardner, tree lover, and hugger.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cupping in Portland

We had friends in town recently and they suggested that we go to a cupping event at Stumptown Coffee Roasters. It took me a brief moment to connect the dots but, once I did, I was practically running out the door.

Tasting coffee sounds fun plus it gives the experts a chance to really show their stuff. I consider myself  relatively aware when it comes to understanding flavors in coffee beans but as usual I found out there was a lot more to consider in my quest for a great cup of jo.

The water is being poured


our friend Annie smelling the sweet aroma of coffee
For example: as we stood there slurping the coffee then spitting it out into our paper cups ... I noticed, there was no cream sitting out waiting to be dispensed, and to be honest I happen to like a lot of cream or milk in my coffee. But, the flavors are much more distinct when there's no disguise of sugar or milk to overwhelm them with. I vaguely remember  people telling me about fruity coffees (and I'm not speaking about the flavored coffee here either) perhaps, now if I lighten up on the milk and sugar I can let the true nature of the bean reveal itself. 
Please don't get me wrong here, I will still drink my coffee with sugar and milk but maybe not all coffee... just some.

And with that, I happened to fall in love with a funny little bean called Indonesia Sulawesi Toarco Peaberry.
And this little bean wasn't like the rest I was informed .. it's a bit of a mutant.
the two beans in front are the "mutant"peaberry beans
These little guys are nutritionally deprived and instead of both seeds being fertilized (that make up the whole bean in your typical looking flat beans), only one seed is fertilized, resulting in one strange looking bean. It kinda looks like it's trying to embrace itself.
This was the real prize I took home, aside from seeing good friends in fun places. Actually, I think it's about time for a cup right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment